Jamie Parson, J.D.
Jamie Parson was named chief diversity officer at Appalachian State University on May 13, 2022, after a national search. She held the position in an interim role from May 2021–May 2022.
Parson is also an associate professor in the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance at App State. Prior to being named interim chief diversity officer, she taught undergraduate courses in business law and insurance. In addition, she led the Walker College of Business’ Inclusive Excellence Team (formerly Diversity Advisory Team), as well as the Risk Management and Insurance diversity initiatives in the Brantley Risk and Insurance Center. She also serves on numerous boards and committees, including the university’s Diversity and Inclusion Accountability Team.
Before coming to App State, Parson served as a Title VII investigator for the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission and a special investigative unit liaison and fire claims representative at State Farm Insurance Co.
As chief diversity officer, Parson:
- advises the chancellor on strategic diversity matters;
- leads the university’s Diversity and Inclusion Accountability Team, the Chief Diversity Officer’s Advisory Board and the Chancellor’s Student Advisory Board for Diversity Recruitment;
- liaises with students, faculty and staff regarding diversity, equity and inclusion matters;
- leads training efforts; and
- serves as the lead implementer for the university’s strategic diversity plan.
Parson holds a Bachelor of Science in sociology-anthropology from Nebraska Wesleyan University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Nebraska College of Law in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Messages from the Chief Diversity Officer
- Commemorating Pride Month, Juneteenth & Memorial Day – May 26, 2022
- A year of work and progress – April 27, 2022
- Acknowledging and honoring those who came before us – March 23, 2022
- App State stands with those affected by the conflict in Ukraine – March 1, 2022
- Celebrating Black History Month — The Legacy & Contributions of Black Leaders – Feb. 24, 2022
- Recognizing excellence, finding service opportunities – Jan. 31, 2022
- Forums and panel discussion about recent and expected trial verdicts – Nov. 24, 2021
- Raising Awareness, Celebrating Community – Nov. 17, 2021
- Incremental Change, Considerable Impact – Oct. 27, 2021
- Honoring Latin Hispanic Heritage Month – Sept. 28, 2021
- App State stands with those affected by the crisis in Afghanistan – Aug. 30, 2021
- Inclusion elevates all – Aug. 26, 2021
- Recognizing our underrepresented communities – June 17, 2021
- In support of Asian Americans – March 18, 2021
- Diversity Plan updates and campus announcements – Feb. 11, 2021
- Campus leaders for inclusive excellence – Dec. 23, 2020
- Update on campus services and Accountability Team meetings – Oct. 26, 2020
- Updates from the Accountability Team – Aug. 29, 2020
- Broadening campuswide diversity, equity and inclusion knowledge – Aug. 14, 2020
- Forming a Diversity and Inclusion Accountability Team – July 25, 2020
- Retaining underrepresented faculty members – July 10, 2020
- Increasing representation among faculty and staff – June 28, 2020
- Reflecting on diversity and inclusion at Appalachian – June 19, 2020
- A message to the App State community from Chief Diversity Officer Willie Fleming – June 1, 2020