Engagement and support
This dedicated web portal aggregates essential resources related to wellness and prevention, emergency preparedness and student health. Visit the Appalachian Cares website
App Talks Immigration
Navigating the complex, ever-evolving policies related to immigration and associated international programs can be daunting. Appalachian has compiled resources and information to help answer questions and make these processes easier. Visit the App Talks Immigration website
Inclusive Excellence Team supports faculty and instructors
In support of Appalachian’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, the Inclusive Excellence Team offers resources for inclusive teaching, curriculum and pedagogy, and provides space for dialogue, learning and growth for faculty and instructors.
This team is part of the university’s Center for Academic Excellence and focuses on the following:
- Supporting inclusive excellence teaching strategies as related to: curriculum and pedagogy, situational factors in the learning environment, course design, accessibility and student success, and assessment considerations. Learn more about inclusive teaching strategies
- Offering professional development activities — including workshops, individual and group learning sessions and online resources — designed to help faculty create and develop an inclusive curriculum and classroom environment. Learn more about professional development
- Empowering Inclusive Excellence Liaisons who work in each department to cultivate faculty inclusive excellence, specifically inclusive teaching and positive and equitable educational environments. Learn more about the Inclusive Excellence Liaisons
Faculty and staff resources
Appalachian provides a variety of resources for underrepresented faculty and staff. For example, there are two affinity groups on campus — the Black Faculty and Staff Association and APP Unidos (the Hispanic/Latino Faculty and Staff Association). Additionally, the Office of Human Resources, Academic Affairs and Counseling for Faculty and Staff have partnered with ComPsych® GuidanceResources® to provide Appalachian employees with an enhanced employee assistance program. This organization offers resources for speaking to children about diversity and discrimination, workplace diversity, understanding the trauma of racism, and mental health first aid, among other topics.
Below are myriad opportunities — on campus and in the community — for all members of the Appalachian Community to engage with groups and academic programs, and also to find support through offices, centers, clubs and more.
Centers, offices and advisory boards
- Center for Appalachian Studies
- Center for Judaic, Holocaust and Peace Studies
- Chancellor's Student Advisory Board for Diversity Recruitment
- Chief Diversity Officer's Advisory Board
- Henderson Springs LGBT Center
- Inclusive Excellence through the Center for Academic Excellence
- Intercultural Student Affairs
- Office of Disability Resources
- Office of International Education and Development
- Office of Title IX Compliance
- Office of Transfer Services
- Rich Mountain Meditation Room
- Women’s Center
Learning and support
- Cherokee Partnership (Gadugi Program)
- College STAR (Supporting Transition, Access and Retention)
- Common Reading Program
- Diversity Scholars
- Dr. Willie C. Fleming Scholars
- Inclusion Infusion Summer Diversity Institute
- LGBT Support Resources
- Military Students
- Quality Enhancement Plan – Global Learning
- Residential Learning Communities
- Scholars with Diverse Abilities program
Clubs and organizations
More information about specific student clubs is available in the student club and organization directory.
- African-American Alumni Association
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Appalachian Mixed Race Coalition
- APP Unidos — Hispanic/Latino Faculty and Staff Association
- Asian Student Association
- ASU German Club
- Black Faculty and Staff Association
- Black Student Association
- Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc.
- Chinese Culture and Language Club
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Entropy Dance Crew
- Hispanic Student Association
- Hmong Society Club
- International Appalachian
- International Friendship Association
- International Relations Association
- Japanese Culture Club
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Le Cercle Francais (French Club)
- LGBT Center
- Minority Men's Leadership Circle
- Minority Women's Leadership Circle
- National Panhellenic Council
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Order of Black and Gold
- Pagan Student Association
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Sexuality & Gender Alliance
- Student Government Association
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Diversity-related academic offerings
- Appalachian studies
- Communication sciences and disorders
- Expressive arts therapy
- French and Francophone studies
- Music therapy
- Religious studies
- Social work
- Special education
- UNC System World Language Course Exchange
- Women’s studies (LGBT studies minor)