In spring 2021, the Office of Diversity hosted listening charrettes for faculty, staff and students designed to gain feedback on the university’s strategic goals related to diversity, equity and inclusion. These listening charrettes fostered strong discussions about diversity and inclusion on App State’s campus, including:
- Transparency and regular communication of metrics, actions and achievements.
- Use of technology.
- Encouraging participation in workshops, trainings and other interactions.
- Understanding and coordinating inclusion efforts across campus.
- Support for the Office of the Chief Diversity Officer.
- Faculty recruitment, hiring and retention.
- Student recruitment and incentives for enrollment for all underrepresented populations.
- Broadening the scope of discussion around diversity to include other groups.
- Gathering more information about why diverse faculty and students leave the university.
- Support for inclusive curriculum, classrooms and teaching methodologies.
- Mentoring for diverse faculty, staff and students.
- Audit of facilities and practices to ensure inclusivity.
- Reworking of bias reporting protocols.
- Creation of community connections and resources beyond campus.
The information gathered during the listening charrettes help to build a broad narrative for and understanding of what is needed and wanted concerning diversity and inclusion at App State.