The Chief Diversity Officer’s Advisory Board created a campuswide Comprehensive Diversity Plan that will encourage, on an ongoing basis, each university unit to accomplish the university’s strategic goal of “embracing diversity of thought, belief and community.” The plan is informed by the university’s strategic plan, the 2017 Inclusion Infusion Study, the annual Inclusion Infusion Summer Diversity Institute and research and discussions by the 2018-19 Chief Diversity Officer’s Advisory Board. The plan is complete and being vetted by focus groups across campus. As a dynamic and living document, the Comprehensive Diversity Plan will evolve over time as goals are met and new goals are established.
- August 2020 — Comprehensive Diversity Plan is vetted by campus groups
- September 2020 — Comprehensive Diversity Plan is updated based on feedback
- December 2020 — Comprehensive Diversity Plan is shared with the campus community via email and posted on the diversity and inclusion website
Themes addressed in Appalachian’s Comprehensive Diversity Plan
Below is a sampling of the themes outlined in Appalachian’s Comprehensive Diversity Plan, which is currently under review by campus constituents.
- Recruitment, retention and graduation of underrepresented students
- Recruitment and retention of underrepresented faculty and staff
- Centralization and support of diversity efforts, specifically related to communications, training and reporting structures
- Inclusive excellence principles in curriculum and instruction