App State students, faculty and staff can elect to use a chosen first name (previously known as a preferred first name) that is different from their legal first name for certain purposes, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name. Chosen first names may not be fraudulent or misrepresent, or be inappropriate or offensive. Currently, this option applies to first names only.
How to add or update your chosen first name in Banner
- Visit AppalNet.
- Click on “Log into Self-Service.”
- Click on the “General” tab, then below, click on “General Self-Service.”
- Click on the “Personal Information” tab.
- Click on “Chosen First Name.”
- Enter your chosen first name.
- Select “Update chosen first name” to ensure it has been saved.
How to add or update your chosen first name in Mountaineer Apps (Google)
- Log in to your App State Gmail account.
- Click your avatar in the top right corner.
- Click “Manage your Google Account.”
- Click “Personal info” on the sidebar.
- Click your current name.
- Enter your chosen first name.
- Click “Save.”
Important notes about updating your chosen first name
- Changes typically process within 24 hours, but can take up to two weeks.
- Changing your chosen first name is only applicable to Appalachian State University records and services and does not mean that your legal name has changed elsewhere.
- If someone has your name as anything different in their contacts or address book, this may prevent them from seeing your new chosen first name.
- If you have your settings for “send mail as” set to a name different from your chosen first name, it will override any other names set elsewhere in Google.
If you go through the steps to update to a chosen name and still find your legal name being used in App State systems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selecting a chosen name on your graduation application
All students enter how they would like their name printed on their diploma when they apply to graduate and may elect to use a chosen name.
In addition to your diploma, the name you enter on your graduation application will be:
- printed on your Marching Order Card;
- announced and displayed at the commencement ceremonies; and,
- published on university websites including the Commencement site and the Office of the Registrar’s Degrees Awarded page.
For more information and/or assistance with your graduation application, contact email@example.com from your App State email account and include your Banner ID or call 828-262-2050.
Students’ chosen first name(s) are used for:
- Advisor self service (Advisee Photos, Advisee listing)
- AppCard (Student ID)
- AsULearn — course management system
- Chancellor’s List
- Counseling center check-in
- Dean’s List
- Email (Google)
- Engage — clubs and organizations system
- Events and performances
- Faculty self service (class photos, rosters, final grade worksheets, etc.)
- Financial aid check-in
- Medicat — Student Health Service system
- Online campus directory
- Starrez — housing management system
- Student self service — display confirmation page
- Student self service — name display
We are working to provide future use of chosen first names for:
- Campus reporting
- Other student auxiliary systems
Students’ legal first name(s) must be used for:
- Enrollment / degree inquiries, such as verification requests
- Financial aid (legal paperwork / records)
- Official and unofficial transcripts
- Payroll / human resources employment documents
- Some student auxiliary systems (Jump Forward, Terra Dotta)
- Student accounts