Say What? Examining Freedom of Speech at App State
Appalachian State University, like universities across the nation, faces the challenge of balancing a respect for and obligation to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution with an institutional culture of respect for thought, belief and community.
- When members of our community express themselves in ways that belittle or degrade others, how do we address these actions?
- When members of our community view expressions of speech as threats, how do we ensure their safety?
- How can we protect freedom of speech and thought for all members of our community?
- Can we – or should we – use policy to address these matters?
Each semester, the Appalachian Community investigates these questions, and others like them, through intentional programming designed to explore meaningful, challenging issues respectfully.
- Office of the Chancellor
- Division of Academic Affairs
- Division of Student Affairs
- Student Government Association
- Residence Hall Association
- Co-Chair – Dr. Jacqui Bergman, Interim Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Co-Chair – Dr. Jonathon Hyde, Dean of Students & Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Dr. Phillip Ardoin, Chair, Department of Government and Justice Studies
- Danielle Carter, Director, Multicultural Student Development
- Jeff Cathey, Director of Student Engagement & Leadership, Student Affairs
- Matthew Dockham, Director of External Affairs & Community Relations
- Dr. Willie Fleming, Chief Diversity Officer
- Hank Foreman, Vice Chancellor & Chief of Staff
- Chris Grulke, Assistant Marketing Director for Strategy & Analytics, University Communications
- Megan Hayes, Chief Communications Officer
- Brigitte Kelly, Vice President, Student Government Association
- Leonie Kruger, Office of the Dean of Students
- Paul Meggett, University General Counsel
- Traci Royster, Director of Staff Development and Strategic Initiatives, Student Affairs
- Leroy Wright, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- UNC System campus free speech and free expression resources
- University social media guidelines
- Global thinking local action at App State
- Faculty Senate freedom of speech policy resolution (Nov. 2017)
- Appalachian earns FIRE's highest rating for protecting free speech (Sep. 2017)
- Faculty Senate statement on Freedom of Speech (Feb. 2017)