Oct. 28, 2021
Presenters: Nancy Crowell, Shelley Leder, Alyson Ebaugh. Director of Human Resources Mark Bachmeier was present for the discussion.
Related accountability review points:
- Increase the percentage of Black and Brown tenure-track faculty, upper administration, and full-time staff by no less than 25% by 2023.
- All departments outline and make public how their hiring and tenure processes work.
- Implement exit interviews for students, faculty, and staff of color regarding their university experience. Compile data, publish the report.
Summary of presentation:
- This presentation provided an update on university employee recruitment and hiring practices as related to efforts to increase diversity across the App State workforce.
- Human resources has two main initiatives:
- Recruitment — Attracting diverse pools of highly qualified applicants for our vacant positions.
- Evaluation and Selection — Providing for the fair and equitable evaluation of all applicants for employment without bias or conflicts of interest.
- The presentation also discussed current data available to inform our understanding of the university experiences of faculty and staff of color and goals for improvement of this data collection.
- Develop and implement a new and effective employee exit interview process to help us better understand factors affecting voluntary turnover.
- Engage campus affinity groups proactively to help assess and improve the experience of underrepresented faculty and staff.
- Expand learning and organizational development programming with a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion to positively impact inclusion.