October 27, 2022
Presenters: Cindy Barr, Jamie Parson
Related accountability review points:
- Advance scholarship related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Incentivize and emphasize scholarship that addresses inequities, embraces inclusion and prepares students to meet workforce and societal challenges presented by a broad range of human differences.
- Ensure equitable opportunities for student success and wellbeing.
- Prioritize access, affordability, and holistic student success and wellbeing in ways that ensure equitable opportunities and inclusion for all students.
- Integrate inclusive educational practices into educational and professional development.
- Incorporate principles of diversity, equity and inclusion into curriculum, pedagogy and professional development to successfully respond to instances of inequity and to facilitate and navigate conversations and discussions around disparities and conflicting value systems.
- Identify and remove barriers to the success of historically underrepresented faculty, staff and students.
- Advance multicultural competencies and strengthen dedicated networks to successfully attract, retain and support historically underrepresented faculty, staff and students to learn and work at App State by removing identified barriers to the learning and career success of historically underrepresented communities.
- Provide resources to the entire campus community that help infuse a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Expand availability of engagement opportunities and implementation of information, coaching, professional development and instructional support resources to cultivate and enhance a university culture that values diversity as the expression of human similarities and differences.
Summary of Presentation – Enrollment Management:
- Increase the level of marketing regarding diversity scholarship opportunities to incoming and ongoing students at the university.
- Implementation of Appalachian Scholarship Application Portal (ASAP)
- Expand signature scholarships and selective academic program mailings.
- ACCESS scholarship program changes – awards based on admissions application
- Cultivate more scholarship opportunities for marginalized people who are not directly allotted by a merit-based scholarship designation.
- App Excellence Scholarship
- Provide data to University Advancement to support fundraising for need-based and recruitment scholarships
- Updated Scholarship Website
- Changes to Appalachian Excellence Scholarship Awards
- ASAP future potential
- Streamline number of questions – strike the right balance between getting enough information from prospective students without making the process burdensome.
Summary of Presentation – Office of Diversity:
- Reestablish the position of Associate Vice Chancellor of Equity, to report to CDO.
- Chief Diversity Officer governs the following: the Title IX Office, The Associate Vice-Chancellor of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Compliance, and the staff of both offices.
- Faculty Directors & EA introduced
- Organizational chart explained, new job post shared
- Relationships with Director of Development for University Initiatives (new position) and UComm liaison
- Create an accessible and publicly known Bias Incident Reporting Protocol for student complaints about biased comments, attitudes and actions made by students, staff, faculty and administrators. Bias Incident Reports will be submitted to the Office of the Associate Vice Chancellor of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Compliance.
- Bias reports are fielded by Maxient. Information regarding the purpose of this form and an access link to this form should be included in the syllabus of each academic offering from the university with the same regard as ADA Compliance. Bias Reporting Incident Form should be marketed in all housing, recruitment/retention initiatives and programs.
- App State will maintain its commitment to understanding the needs of students, providing services directly or when appropriate, facilitating an efficient and effective referral, developing and modifying policies/processes, being good stewards of student fees, and maintaining honesty and transparency.