App State launched a campuswide Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Climate Survey for employees and students in February 2023. This survey is a great opportunity for the university to hear from every Mountaineer on campus.
What is the survey?
App State’s DEI Climate Survey is a valuable tool that helps us better understand the perceptions of employees and students regarding their experiences at App State.
- The survey typically takes 15–20 minutes to complete and can be filled out on computers or mobile devices.
- We will initiate this survey once every three years, just as we do with the other major surveys we conduct on campus.
As part of this initiative, Chief Diversity Officer Jamie Parson will hold a campuswide town hall meeting via Zoom on March 30 from 4–5 p.m. to discuss our DEI campus climate.
Why is App State doing it?
App State is committed to cultivating and supporting a welcoming university community and an academic culture of collaboration and respect for every Mountaineer through education and inclusive practices. In fact, Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is one of six strategic priorities in App State’s Strategic Plan 2022–2027. The DEI Climate Survey is one of the university’s most important initiatives designed to support this strategic priority.
How will App State use the survey results?
App State will analyze data collected from this survey to:
- Measure overall progress on our DEI campus climate.
- Identify the university’s strengths and areas for improvement.
- Shape our future DEI goals and programming.
Participants are eligible for great prizes
Participants who submit a survey will be eligible to win some great prizes:
- Dining Dollars ranging from $5-$25
- Four football season tickets for 2023-24
- Outdoor rental equipment vouchers valued at $50
- Outdoor recreation day-trip vouchers valued up to $30
- Banff Film Festival tickets valued at $20/pair
- UREC Smart Start personal training sessions valued at $45
- UREC climbing wall group experience vouchers valued at $150
- App Ski Mountain ski ticket day pass for the 2022-23 season valued at $71
- A pair of tickets to Grandfather Mountain valued at $30
- Graduation cap and gown
- Gift certificates from the Campus Bookstore, Espresso News, StickBoy Bakery and more!
Putting survey results into action
The Office of Diversity has just hired a director of DEI Educational Development and Campus Climate Strategies. This director will guide our efforts in transforming survey results into meaningful, impactful programs that address survey feedback and advance App State’s DEI strategic priority.